5 Things You Weren’t Told About Your CV!
The musings of a grizzled veteran of 12 years in Recruitment!
- Your CV is possibly the most important document you will every own. This document will invariably get you a job and resulting income. Without this, what use is a passport or driver’s license if you can’t afford to buy a car or jump on a plane! You can also forget about the deeds of that house! So give it proper attention.
- It does not matter how many pages you have on your CV. There is this misconception out there that it should be no longer than 2 pages. This just does not make sense. How can someone with 20 years’ experience be expected to break down a career in two pages! Much like a newspaper trying to sell itself, its all about the front page and key words. Page 1 is vital. Invite the reader to find out more!
- Your CV should be ever evolving. The first person to screen your CV is often least qualified to make a technical judgment. It could be a HR Administrator, a junior Recruiter or that “Man Friday” in the office who must do all those awkward bits and piece because no one else has the time! On this basis you need to make sure your CV is reflective of the job spec in terms of terminology and key words. That first person to screen doesn’t want to look like a fool so they will only pass on CV’s to the hiring manager that they are sure will make the cut. So again, modify and reflect. Your CV is an ever-changing document. It tells the same information, but it can articulate in different ways.
- Keep it simple. Every day I see extravagant formats, images, boxes here and there, emojis and the rest. Focus on the content. Leave the fancy CV’s to graphic designers who need to display their creativity. Oh, and please avoid lingo and acronyms!!!
- The first view of your CV will last about 4 seconds! Yes, this is true. That first screen will be a case of the recruiter deciding is the CV for the good pile of the bad pile! They will jump straight to your current role focusing on tenure, duties, company and job title. They might give qualifications a quick glance. Then a decision is ultimately made. You can make the good pile where a more detailed assessment takes place or the bad pile where your CV meets its end! So again, make sure the key words and info are clear and reflect the job spec!
Dean is a recent graduate of Business and Accounting from Maynooth University. Along with his undergraduate degree, he has years of professional experience in the car sales industry. Through these experiences, Dean has developed outstanding communication and interpersonal skills.
Dean’s background as a professional mechanic combined with his years of sales experience equips him with the ability to identify and understand the different market sectors in recruitment. These key attributes enable him to assist in understanding the needs and wants of both the candidate and the client for a positive long-lasting relationship.
Outside of work, Dean’s interests include a love of travelling, having spent time in Asia, along with captaining the Allenwood football team to many victories.
Senior Recruitment Consultant
Elizabeth takes an integrated and person-centred approach to recruitment, to ensure she not only delivers talent, but encourages prosperous relationships for all involved.
Elizabeth holds a BSc in Podiatric Medicine from the National University of Ireland, Galway. Her diverse career background within the areas of Healthcare, Event Management, Customer Service and Sales has strongly developed her ability to understand, communicate and facilitate the unique needs of individuals and companies.
Elizabeth’s affable and diligent nature ensures that both clients and jobseekers alike find what they’re looking for, whilst making the process as stress free and enjoyable as possible. She loves a challenge and her commitment to finding the ‘perfect fit’, takes her across a variety of sectors, from Telecoms to Medical and Pharmaceutical – and everything in between!
Peter has a keen eye for detail and is highly skilled at discovering key client and candidate information for the purpose of achieving a great recruitment fit.
Peter holds a degree in Business and Management along with a Master’s in Strategy and Innovation from Maynooth University. During his studies and after graduation, Peter has honed strong negotiation and communication skill’s from his time in retail, sales, and account management.
His key areas of expertise are technical and general recruitment across a range of industries from IT, Telecoms, Construction, and Engineering. Peter is highly adept at dealing with candidates and clients alike and has received awards for his customer service skills over the course of his career.
Peter is also a keen sportsman and has played both golf and rugby at a high level.
Evie joined the Sparktel team in 2021. She is a Business Studies and Spanish graduate from Trinity College Dublin. During her school and college years she has worked in a number of diverse customer service roles both here in Ireland and in Valencia, Spain. This has served to hone her excellent communication and people skills. Evie is also passionate about languages – she is fluent in Spanish having spent an Erasmus year studying business in Madrid.
Evie’s academic and professional background has equipped her with many unique skills. Having lived, studied and worked abroad, she is familiar with the career and cultural opportunities associated with relocation. She relishes the challenges of her work and does her utmost to ensure that talented people are placed where they will shine and deliver the best results for Sparktel’s clients.
Niall’s vision in any project is to deliver talent to an organisation to alleviate pressure and achieve results. How has he learned to do this?
Niall holds a BA in Business Studies & Human Resources, a Lean Six Sigma Yellow Belt, specialist training in Aptitude and Psychometric testing and analysis along with a Black Belt in Online Recruitment Search. He has over a decade of experience in HR and Recruitment. Throughout his career, he has recruited and led recruitment teams for technical, high volume and executive search for SME’s right up to large multi-nationals.
An expert in recruitment, Niall has found thousands of job seekers their next career move whether as part of a one-off project with a small company or as part of a volume campaign with a blue-chip brand. Thousands of conversations, interviews, CV’s and stories have helped Niall become a specialist professional in dealing with job seekers and hiring managers alike to ensure that the right fit happens!